Prior to VUDA, the Town Planning Trust (TPT) has existed since 1962, to implement developmental activities in and around Visakhapatnam. The TPT was upgraded and Visakhapatnam Urban Development Authority was constituted on 17th June 1978, under AP Urban Areas (Development) Act, 1975 with its jurisdiction extending over Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation and four municipal towns namely Vizianagaram, Bheemunipatnam, Gajuwaka and Anakapalli including 287 villages in 178 Gram Panchayats, comprising an area of 1721 sq.km. Its function was
- To regulate and enforce the development as per the plans,
- To formulate and implement projects for housing infrastructure and
- To coordinate various developmental projects for implementation of the Master Plan proposals.
It replaced erstwhile Town Planning Trust, a similar body constituted in 1962, which was operating in a limited area of Visakhapatnam municipal area.
VUDA, as part of its specified objectives, prepared a Master Plan for the entire Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region (VMR) and done the Government of Andhra Pradesh approve it. The zonal development plans of Vizianagaram, Bheemunipatnam, Gajuwaka and Anakapalli towns have been sanctioned. In the peripheral area zonal development plans of Madhurawada, Rushikonda and Gopalapatnam have been sanctioned. VUDA also has the responsibility of coordinating and implementing important Urban Development Plans.
1.Preparation of Master Plan and ensuring development as envisaged in the same.
2.Co ordination of development activities with various agencies and providing infrastructure facilities.
3.Formulation of projects in sectors and their implementation.
4.To regulate and control the development through statutory plans and other measures.
- To achieve the above set objectives, the following functions are undertaken:
- To prepare the Master Plan, Zonal Development Plans (ZDP) for the entire Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region (VMR).
- To undertake land acquisition and development.
- To achieve planned development by undertaking satellite townships and sites and services.
- To undertake housing projects for various income group under the Public Housing Groups with the financial assistance of HUDCO.
- Road widening schemes / new road development projects.
- Development of commercial complexes, shopping / office complexes.
- Providing infrastructure in the township areas, colonies and layouts undertaken by VUDA.
- Allotment of houses and plots to various income groups.
- Development of recreational facilities.
Funds and Finance
VUDA's funds include it's own revenue i.e. development charges, sale receipts on disposal of developed plots and built up houses / plots, rents etc, besides the annual grants and special grants for specific purposes from the state and central Governments, loans, debentures etc.
The Main Resources of VUDA
- Development Charges
- Receipt from Sites & Services and Housing Schemes
- Deposit Works
- Receipts from Auction of left over Odd bits / houses etc., in old layouts
- Rents from Shops & Offices
- General Receipts
The A.G. A.P, Hyderabad has conducted the audit of both the annual accounts and Transaction Audit upto 2010-11. The Audit reports for the Years
2009-10 & 2010-11 are awaited from the A.G.
- Under sites services VUDA has developed and allotted 10, 519 plots in an extent of Ac.1718 to a tune of Rs.27.20 Cr.
- Under housing activity 10, 841 housing units have been constructed and allotted in an extent of Ac.479 to a tune of Rs.68.50 Cr.
- 600 commercial complexes have been developed in an extent of 1, 59, 000 sq.ft. to a tune of Rs.5.70 Cr
- Rs.6.78 Cr worth of road widening has been undertaken for a length of 119 kms.
- Facilities have been promoted for cultural and community activities for the benefit of the people in VMR.
All the proposed projects of VUDA have been materialized and most of them are nearing completion.
- VUDA earned Rs.350 Cr projects with private participation (on BOT basis) for infrastructure development in the VMR.
- Kailasagiri, the most beautiful location of Visakhapatnam and prestigious tourism project of VUDA has been awarded as the
Best Tourist Spot by the Government of AP.
- The first Ropeway in AP has been launched and opened for public at Kailasagiri hill.
- The Road Widening of Visakha-Bheemili Beach Road has been taken up and the first 2km., stretch was completed with all beautification and landscaping attractions
- Works relating to introduction of Circular Toy Train on Kailasagiri Hill have been initiated.
- The 11.60 km long Hill Top road between Hanumathwaka junction and Simhachalam has been completed with all natural beautifications except black top.
- Sandram.. Lahiri.. Lahiri, the unique sea cruise project in South India has been completed and awaiting for launching.
- Mega Housing Projects in collaboration with Singapore based promoters at Madhurawada and Rushikonda have been initiated at a cost of Rs.120 Cr.
- Exercise on Master Plan for VMR-2021 has been completed and the Draft Plan is awaiting approval from Govt. of A.P.
- Town Development Plans for Vizianagaram have been taken up in association with the District Administration and Municipality of Vizianagaram.
- The project of Sewage Treatment Plant has been taken up for treating the water at Pedda Tank in Vizianagaram and completed in stipulated period.
- Foundation stone has been laid for the construction of Mega Housing Projects proposed under PPP model at Madhurawada and Rushikonda by Dr.Y.S.Rajasekhara Reddy, Hon'ble Chief Minister, Govt.of AP on 11-05-2005
Since April 2003, a number of innovative and peoples oriented programmes and schemes have been launched to cater the needs of certain groups in the society, which are to be treated with sensitivity.
- The Senior Citizens User Friendly Residence (SECURE) was launched for the benefit of senior citizens. The unique housing scheme was inaugurated by Dr.Y.S.Rajasekhara Reddy, Hon'ble Chief Minister, Govt.of AP on 11-05-2005.
- The Children World consisting the Children Theatre and Mini Zoo has been renovated and dedicated to the activities of the Children.
- The premises of old light house situated on seashore adjoining the VUDA Park has been developed in to VUDA Kids Pride-the Adventure Park with innovative and unique facilities, exclusively for children.
- Under pro-poor approach, low-cost housing Schemes have been introduced for the employees and workers in un-organized sector,
who come under low-income group.
- The concept of Service Centers has been initiated and 36 service centers with site in charges were started in April 2003, covering
all layouts and housing colonies of VUDA, to provide single window services to its users.
- VUDA on Wheels was introduced in April 2003, to provide services to its users at their doorsteps.
- The concept of Project Managers was introduced and each project of VUDA has been kept under the care of an efficient officer,
which ultimately resulted in extending the best services to users.
- Allotment and registration processes have been simplified.
- The Draft Master Plan for VMR-2021 has been made open to public and interactive sessions
were conducted with stake holders such as local bodies, industries, experts, fishermen associations, educational institutions, NGOs, peoples organizations etc.,
to finalise the Master Plan.
- Field Offices were opened at Vizianagaram, Bheemili, Gajuwaka and Anakapalli covering all the four zones of VMR to provide single window services to its users.
- Sri G.Venkatram Reddy, IAS, Vice Chairman introduced an innovative programme "Meet the Vice Chairman", to enable the users of
VUDA and general public to get their grievances redressed in a speedy way. This programme is conducted on every Monday from
10.00 A.M to 2.00 P.M at VUDA Administrative Building, Siripuram, Visakhapatnam, which is the head quarters. The Vice Chairman
himself along with all the heads of wings, VUDA, presents in the programmes to receive and dispose grievances.
Empowering the Local Bodies:
- The Local Bodies existing in VMR have been authorized to act against unauthorized layouts.
- The Grama Panchayats in the limits of the VMR have been authorized to approve EWS layouts under WAMBAY (Weaker section
Housing Scheme) to save delay.
- All proposals to VUDA routed through Gram Panchayats / Municipalities / Corporations alone.
Visakhapatnam, described as the City of Destiny, is becoming a destination of global tourism on the east coast of India. The un-tired continuous efforts of the Visakhapatnam Urban Development Authority (VUDA) are transforming the port city in to a tourist paradise with rich eco-environs and must-see destinations. The Visakhapatnam Urban Development Authority is pioneering in carving natural beauties in the form of tourist spots to the Port City.
Being the major urban development authority, VUDA has been playing crucial role in developing and promoting tourism in and around Visakhapatnam. In fact the un tired efforts of VUDA are transforming the City of Destiny in to a destination of tourism at Global level. VUDA has promoted a number of tourist spots in its VMR limits. To name some of them are
3. Circular Toy Train on Kailasagiri
4. Kursura Submarine Museum
5. Hill Top Road
7. Sandram Lahiri.. Lahiri-the Sailing Cruise
8. Visakha-Bheemili Beach road etc.
1. VUDA Park
2. VUDA Kids Pride-The adventure Park exclusively for Children
3. Vaisakhi Jala Udyanavanam (Under Private Maintenance)
4. Tenneti Park
5. Beach Park on newly developed beach road
6. Mahatma Gandhi Park (Vizianagaram),
7. VUDA Children World with mini ZOO and landscaping.
8. Parks in all layouts and housing colonies developed by VUDA. .
- VUDA initiated various plans and programmes for sustainable development of healthy environment in its VMR limits. Preservation and promotion of Eco-Balance, water resources, watershed management, plantation activities, popular education programmes on environmental protection etc are some of the activities
- The proposals for Haritha Visakha, a Rs.91cr project have been submitted to the Government for greening the entire Visakhapatnam Metropolitan
Region (VMR) in 4 years.
Rejuvenation of Pedda Tank at Vizianagaram:
"Pedda Tank" at Vizianagaram is one such major water body situated in the heart of the town over a sprawling Acs 162.00. Due to the topological conditions the main sullage / sewage of the Vizianagaram town fall into the Pedda Tank leading to a Mix of the rain water and sullage creating environmental Problems and acting as a breeding ground for mosquitoes. The Effluent of the tank is used for irrigation purpose. However, taking into account the local conditions and maintenance issues a Bio-friendly treatment project so as to have less maintenance cost is conceived.
The project comprises establishment of deep ponds within the tank and treating facultative with the sludge being further digested through anaerobic process. Accordingly the works are taken up and for cost efficiency a major portion of the excavated earth in the tank bed is also being used for bunds. The work has commenced in September 2003 at an estimated cost of Rs 2.10 Cr and was completed in 2004 taking the rainy days into account.
- Under social tourism, VUDA has promoted housing both at rural and urban areas in its VMR limits
- Under social tourism, VUDA has promoted housing both at rural and urban areas in its VMR limits
- Mega housing projects are coming up to promote Singapore Townships at Rushikonda and Madhurawada with Singapore design and construction.